DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Feuersturm

'highway Of Death' In The Gulf War

'The Highway of Death' was when the Iraqi Army was retreating out of Kuwait, when its ruthlessly bombed, attacked and straffed and shelled for several hours. Several thousand retreating Soldiers perished, and many many vehicles aswell. (Wiki Might give ab etter description): Highway of Death @ Wikipedia

death_highway.jpg

d_storm05.jpg

Was it the right thing to do? Should the Allied powers involved have been punished?

I think it was more or less a message saying "Don't F**k with us" rather then a reasonable strategic attack.

No right or wrong answers I guess, just want opinions. I brought it up in Social 30 today when another student brought up 'The corridor of Death', when German Troops were escaping the 'Falaise Pocket' in World War 2.

Edited by Feuersturm

No, the message was more like "heres what happens when you mess with us so dont try it again". And I dont think that the coalition forces should be punished or even feel sorry, as it was Iraq that started the whole thing in the first place.

And besides after reading things like this I'm not inclined to pity the Iraqi forces a great deal.

Edited by Mr.48

And I dont think that the coalition forces should be punished or even feel sorry, as it was Iraq that started the whole thing in the first place.

That doesn't make anything excusable, though.

As I don't know much about this, I'd like to think that what was done may not have been strategically significant, but was still done for strategic purposes, not out of spite or anything like that.....

Im assuming the fact that they were retreatng ot of Kuwait meant that they were finished........

I think there is such thing as overkill. If they took out just the tanks, it would be one thing. But everything....well I got a problem with that.

Edited by Feuersturm

One of those eye of the beholder type situations, if it happened to our side, we would bitch and moan endlessly.

I think it was piss weak.

Nice argument there 48, if someone starts something, it doesnt matter what you do in retaliation, even when they have given up :rolleyes: I guess those pilots should feel proud of their slaughter, and we should admire their bravery?

So we're the only people to have done evacuation bombing, hmmm?

I think not.

Face it, it happens, and the fact remains that they WERE the invaders into a peaceful country.

And on a unrelated note...since when were evacuations ever easy in CNC?

Sigh.

NO. Its just evac bombing is a fact of life. Get used to it. They woulda bombed us to hell if we were evacuating (the Iraqis).

Im used to many things I dont like Icon, hence why Im not surprised.Your arguments do nothing to justify it.

The Nazis baked people in ovens, is that something I should expect and get used to our side doing in conflicts too? Try using your brain a little mate...

Germany knew when to stop, or as some argue, Hilter was an indiot. They could have easily slammed their tanks on the beaches and raped. The casualties were not on the same scale.

And the reason WHY these situations were not supposed to happen after World War 2 was the fact that we 'had learned from our mistakes' in that war.

No nation shall ever break any parts of the Geneva Convention or shall face the UN'.

Well, that being said after World War 2, we obvisouly didn't know better, no-one was punished.

Or it could be the fact that certain nations have certain power, or that the 'Allies' are extremely hippocritical.

@Icon - Because they did it obviously means that The Allies should stoop to Nazi Germany's level. Great. WE need Hitler-like nations again running amuk because of what he did. Lets put the Iraqi's in Gas chambers! Doesn't matter if they are wrong or not! They all have the potential to be terrorists! <_<

Edit: Alot of posts appeared while I was typing that. Please don't mind the simmilarities.

Edited by Feuersturm

Nice argument there 48, if someone starts something, it doesnt matter what you do in retaliation, even when they have given up :rolleyes: I guess those pilots should feel proud of their slaughter, and we should admire their bravery?

I think the idea was to completely demoralize and render combat-ineffective the Iraqi army in preparation for an invasion of Iraq in support of the anti-Saddam uprisings in Basra, Nasiriyah and in the Kurdish north, which unfortunately came 12 years too late (or we might not have been in the Iraq mess of today).

Edited by Mr.48

The point is not letting an evacuation go free. We are talking about massive overkill on evacuating troops. Of course they are not going to let retreating troops go without firing a shot, or they wouldn't bother evacuating......

I think they should not have targeted the regular Iraqi army units that had been routed. The republican guard were Saddam's private army, and they should have been the ones to feel that kind of bombing. The regular Iraqi army units were not really willing to fight the allied forces that were liberating Kuwait, and they should have been left alone. Especially if they had been completely routed already.

I like where this thread is going... :rolleyes:

AMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVILAMERICA EVIL

I'm surprised we aren't automatically IP banned.

I think the idea was to completely demoralize and render combat-ineffective the Iraqi army in preparation for an invasion of Iraq in support of the anti-Saddam uprisings in Basra, Nasiriyah and in the Kurdish north, which unfortunately came 12 years too late (or we might not have been in the Iraq mess of today).

While that may be a valid tactical argument, and even 'legal' in terms of warfare operations, it doesnt make it morally correct, and I dont see how it justfies your initial argument of:

I dont think that the coalition forces should be punished or even feel sorry, as it was Iraq that started the whole thing in the first place.

Icon, considering the Iraqi army had been defeated and peace negotiations had already started, attacking the retreating force wasnt exactly the right thing to do in my opinion.

Yea, and chances are most of them when they reached Iraq would have deserted. or would have been routed even more.

Big difference here, In World war 2, German's were more, how do i put this, willing to fight and more nationalistic, and their commanders were more capable of rallying troops, hence why they would pose a threat. Here we are talking about troops who really are in the army for the money, not really caring about a cause, and would rather be at home then fighting a losing war.

A retreating army like Iraqi's would really pose no threat, and if the regrouped then abit of bombing to get them running again, or show up with tanks. But not on the scale that happened. What were they gonig to do, shoot down the jets blowing them to hell?

Icon, considering the Iraqi army had been defeated and peace negotiations had already started, attacking the retreating force wasnt exactly the right thing to do in my opinion.

This is why I feel they should have been punished for it. Lets say Iran did it, don't you think they would been having trails in the UN? Definiatly.

Edited by Feuersturm

While that may be a valid tactical argument, and even 'legal' in terms of warfare operations, it doesnt make it morally correct, and I dont see how it justfies your initial argument of:

I dont think that the coalition forces should be punished or even feel sorry, as it was Iraq that started the whole thing in the first place.

I'm just saying that I have a hard time pitying the Iraqi forces in the aftermath of the shit they pulled in Kuwait, thats it.

Good thing WE OWN THE FUCKING UN THEN, ISN'T IT?

Oh yes, United Nations.....uhm...Not United States. But yea, UN is worthless until they start modernizing it. Maybe Include Germany and Japan in it...hmm...maybe with Veto power to? Would balance it abit more. They are as much as a super-power now as anyone. Maybe not militarily, but definatly economically.

This is like Hitler saying 'Good thing we Own fucking Europe, now we can get away with killing all them Jews'

Edited by Feuersturm