DerelictStudios Forums
Goose

Modelling

Ok, well after posting one of my models in the Guess that plane thread, I got some feedback and it helped alot. So i figured anyone with models they want to get feedback/constructive criticism on can post them here, or other experienced modelers can give the feedback, or just show off their own models :P . Or just any questions related to modelling.

So to start things off, I have another model I am not satisfied with for a few reasons, one-I dont really like the design that much, and two It needs more detail but I can't think what to add. It's called the scarab tank, its an anti-air unit (for generals).

scarabtankrendergt8.png

Post wireframes if anything.

Well that tank has a freaky design, the turret is way too small for it's hull, the guns look like they couldn't hurt a fly.

Could be just the render, most likely is, but where the hull meets the tracks it looks strange.

One of the most apparent errors with people doing creative modeling is the lack of understanding of what "creative" means.

It does NOT mean you can let go your ideas go wild and do anything, as that will most likely result in very amateur like results.

If you build a fantasy thing, you need to wonder how you would build it for real. Each object needs to have "building logic" in it or it will severely lack convincing people. We have a build in perception of our world and anything that doesn't quite fit in, is immediately spotted and rejected.

Lets take your tank fe:

-How are the tracks/wheels connected to the hull?

-How many ppl can it hold and were do they get it/out

-How do they function within the tank? Where is the driver, commander, gunner, etc?

-How do you explain the shape of the body or turret from a structural point of view?

-Where is the engine? How does it function?

-What are the weak points of the design, the strong points?

-How do the guns reload?

-Etc...

Creativity is not letting your ideas go wild with no boundaries, but making something original within a tight set of rules. That's where true creativity lays... ;)

Yeah, you have a point there, I didn't design it myself and always thought it would look better in 3D, it didn't and might make a completely new design.

13115345gm5.jpg

43531941hv0.jpg

Any comments and crits on this? Just note that this model won't get fixed(at least major reconstructions, but it depends on my mood), but I will take into account what you say when I remodel it.

I'm not sure what your target is: either a lowpolygon version or a high polygon version?

-If it is low poly, you have a lot of polygon ineffecient use.

It shows that booleans have been used to cut things. As a result you get a mess of redundant polygons. You need to clean up these things, as it could very well reduce your polycount with 20%...

-If it is high poly, then you sould increase the curvature on some parts drastically, as they look very bad from upclose.

High poly ofcourse. As in, about 5k limit. Which parts need the most fixing in curviatures? I can up the limit to about 10k, but I don't wanna reach that. I'm guessing I can do the curviature fixes without major distortion to the uv map.

And no booleans were used here. This wireframe render was made with a max script I found so it might look a bit different than it actually is. Not drasticly though, some parts do look messy now that I look at it again.

pretty nice mehman, the joystick could be better though, what you have is just a stick, make it more...ergonomic? basically moulded.

The interior is still a WIP. The joystick is something I just kinda forgot and will be completed once I get to the interior. Again. Most of the interior will remain a WIP until I figure out how Armed Assault's airplane interiors work. I wanna get a lot of lights and stuff working, so I'm gonna have to wait until I get to the coding part.

Edited by MehMan

Ah ok, fair enough, what plane is it incidentally?

Im thinking of starting either a high poly typhoon or tornado fairly soon.

Thanks for apologizing, I was offended by your mistake.

You're an asshole :P

There are methods to add in edge loops on the curve of the canopy, for example, to smooth it out. Look for tutorials on subdivision modeling.

I will get back to work on this one day. Most likely in the summer when I'm back home. ;)

crusader15.jpg

There are methods to add in edge loops on the curve of the canopy, for example, to smooth it out. Look for tutorials on subdivision modeling.

So the canopy mostly? Well, it does need a bit more smoothing, considering that it's gonna be seen first.

Here's a few models I made for Generals a few years back. Thing is I can only model something if I have a physica interpretation of it. I had a figure of theGuntank and MK IV and a friend of mine had a figure of the Shadowcat.

73ea7340.jpg

SimpleGuntank.jpg

AVExcaliburPreview.jpg

*Edit* Dammit! "Copied" my ass! Stupid Photobucket. :ph34r:

Edited by Zero_Point

Golden rule nr.986751 of presenting WIP's :

-never use isometric views to show a model for critic.

The unnatural aspect of that viewing method has a negative appreciation impact on your model.

autocannonrenderte6.png

Defense structrure, two machine gun's, fairly self explanatory. Thoughts, ideas anyone?