DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tmapm

Map Overhaul

What maps do you guys typically play on?? I don't think I ever played on a map with room for 8 players very often. (I guess for comp stomp.)

Reason is I am going to begin sorting through the maps..

Step 1) Remove them all from AR2.

Step 2) Decided whether to keep or get rid of.

Step 3) If kept, fix the map / make a better version.

Step 4) Implement *** ******* ************* *******. (Secret Code... you will all know what this is within a week or two when I tell you. If you already know...shhhh.)

Step 5) Add it to the Official AR2 Map List (ie. Add it back in.)

When all is done, you should see some older maps from previous versions that have been made better, existing maps that are "salvagable" and some new never before seen maps. The reason for this is not only to increase the quality of the maps that are in AR2, but also so we can solve the "Raven goes too high = IE" problem.

So let me know a few things:

1) Maps you love.

2) Maps you dislike / never play. (and why!)

3) Maps sizes you would like to see more of.

4) Any other comments.

I absolutley love the map Blanc - the only complaints are not enough city...the waters are alright...I guess in Blanc there needs to be more city or so...I need to load up AR2 to see the other maps I like/dislike...IDK but it just needs something which I cant put in words!...

I also think a 4 player Blanc-flavored map would be nice...

:)

Edited by IconOfEvi

Usually the maps that are played end up being (2-4) maps, and seemingly everyone I know who plays AR2 likes Iced Cocktail as their favorite, so perhaps a revamp of IC? We need some more 4 player and a couple 6 player maps.

Urban maps would also be nice, and there is always the possibility of new terrain maps eventually... :)

Edited by RedFox34

Honestly, I don't really like Blanc. I think that is a cool idea though, make the biggest map size only to allow 6 players... I really like 'Iced Cocktail' as well :) I'll post up a report eventually. When I'm all done I'll probably post the final map list (for this release). Seems this build of the mod keeps getting better and better. (ie. We are doing more than we planned to for the first release. I hope you will be impressed and love it as much as I do.)

Iced Cocktail is also a cool map but m fac 2 player map is Blanc :)

THey both need some coolio work but we can do that

:)

I'm not a team member (obviously :P ), but I think the team was going to do something different with the game modes instead of actual modes. But you'd have to ask them.

We might have some maps with special rules, but this is not a guarantee.

Edit: Yeah, actually we were going to have area designations (such as city, taiga, and frozen wasteland) instead of game modes.

Wasn't it originally planets/moons (before the whole other planets thing was dropped)?

Precisely what V7 and RedFox said.. we aren't going to be using the assualt game mode and we are using the game mode to actually define regions. Thanks though Cannis, and thanks for the "other" help ;)

...we are using the game mode to actually define regions.

To help eliminate ambiguity, allow me to correct you. We aren't using the game modes to define regions in the sense of countries or continents; we are using the game modes to define area designations or types.

Edit: Some possible area designations are: taiga, coastal, tundra, frozen wasteland, urban, and sub-urban.

Well if it is not for you, that's fine. But technically separate game modes are not needed for Assault, especially in your case where you are completely controlling what maps appear in what game mode, and because the maps are exclusive to AR2. You could just put Assault versions of your maps at the end of the map lists in your existing game modes.

If you are at all interested then I'm willing to do the conversions for you guys. It only takes me a few minutes per map, and can be done purely by text editing. I'm not sure if this type of game is right for AR2, but that's up to you to decide ;)

Edited by CannisRabidus

Like I said, we might have some maps with special rules, but we are not sponsoring the Assult game mode in any way.

Frozen Plateau and Inebriation are prone to internal errors:

[*]in Frozen Plateau it's the Raven atacking over high feature error

[*]in Inebriation if the player in the SW corner builds a superweapon next to the cliffs and I destroy it ...

Shame, because otherwise I like these 2 maps.