DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smurf Bizkit

Medics, Mechanics, And Officers...oh My!

I've started adding in these bad boys. All sides will get the Officer, but the Russians will not get the Medic or Mechanic (due to historical accuracy...they just didn't care much about the upkeep of their men or vehicles too much). To keep micro management down, they will work similarly to the propoganda towers. Meaning, you can just throw a couple in with your attacking group and they will heal you automatically. Right now the Officer unit will help boost your troops performance in nearly every aspect when in your group, he will also be lightly armed, and can capture buildings*. All 3 of these units can operate from within jeeps, troop transport trucks, and buildings.

*I am trying to get it so that the Officer is the ONLY unit that can capture tech buildings and enemy buildings. He would also do it like Ra2 engineers...meaning he would go into the building, and it is yours.

Questions/Comments/Suggestions?

What about political officers for the Russians? They could also work like propoganda towers. For one of the unit selection sounds, they could say "Do you know and heros?" or something cheezy like that.

but the Russians will not get the Medic or Mechanic (due to historical accuracy...they just didn't care much about the upkeep of their men or vehicles too much)

err yes they did...

They had medics & mechanics just like every one else, their just not as well known

What about political officers for the Russians?  They could also work like propoganda towers.  For one of the unit selection sounds, they could say "Do you know and heros?" or something cheezy like that.

Eh, sounds kinda dumb...

err yes they did...

They had medics & mechanics just like every one else, their just not as well known

Well obviously they had them...I'll let bio go more on this subject

Commando's and Snipers wont be in?

Yea they will be in, snipers...are on my list. Commando's are too, but I might put them off to release 2. (to help with balancing...lets just have the simple stuff worked out before we add in special units)

will medics auto heal?

yea

Err, I did this more for gameplay than history, though the russians really weren't known for keeping their men in good condition, nor tanks for the most part. Besides, when you get three infantry for the price of two enemy infantry, you can afford losses. The attitude the Russians usually had as far as most anyone can tell was "If it's broken, make a new one".

Ive read that in fact the Germans used that method. Instead of building a spare tank engine they would likely create a new tank (sounds spiffy but it doomed them economically). If any side was as much concerned with repairs it was the Russians. So i say let the russians get the mechanic instead of the Germans.

The officer idea is a bit wierd, it would be more efficient to have assault infantry perform the sieze building function, sort of them having to storm the building to clear it out. I always liked the way they did it in RA1 where you needed to send in a few engees to capture a building or have it already damaged... look into it.

Anyways my 2 cents.

the germans not fixing there tanks and just buiilgin new ones that dont sound right the germans toke care of their tanks better than the russians for example one of the many reaosns why the german tanks stoped just from dunkirk repiar unites follow behind the man tanks i got a pic of a tiger geting patched up on the russian front some where

Well since most German units would own serious ass against Allied units, they have to have some weakness that the Allies have, so the German could perhaps have a much slower mehcanic that repaurs tanks, but slowly

The officer idea is a bit wierd, it would be more efficient to have assault infantry perform the sieze building function, sort of them having to storm the building to clear it out. I always liked the way they did it in RA1 where you needed to send in a few engees to capture a building or have it already damaged... look into it.

I think you've misunderstood the role of an officer. :D

-Soldiers clear out buildings and can garrison it, because they use the building as a defensive/protective structure.

-Supply Officers are trained for re-organizing and restructuring captured buildings and command a crew of workers and engineers to get the production rolling again. They are responsible that the building gets functional again.

-Combat engineers are trained to make roads, military fortifications, roadblocks, minefields etc.. (I know, because I’ve been one ;))

Because we didn't want to confuse ppl with 2 types of officers (commanding officer and supply officer) it seemed logical to combine both in 1 person....

Oh Im not saying they couldnt repair their tanks, im saying they didnt like to do so because it was so damn hard considering that mostof their tanks and vehicles all used different parts. Had they employed a common parts system this wouldnt have been a problem... thus that is why the Germans preferred to make a new vehicle from scratch. That is why i dont think they need a mechanic unit - so long as they have repair base of some sort.

they just didn't care much about the upkeep of their men or vehicles too much

now that kinds of pisses me off. what makes you think russians cared any less about their men than germans or americans? ofcourse russians had medics, anything else would be just plain stupid

dont make this mod another one of those political correct ones where the russians just brainwash everyone and US come out of nowhere and save the day

Please...i sincerely beg you to reconsider this action

:D

EDIT: I hope you realize that i didnt mean this in an offending way...i just want a mod thats balanced, this proposition pretty much ruins the whole historical aspect

I actually think it was the germans who did care about there officers. Hitler would sacrifice anything to win. Although I know where the blitz team is comeing from not puting medics for russia ect. What i think they mean is that the Russians had so many men that it would be imposiible to keep up with the upkeep so russia had to sacrifice a litle and so will our blitz community.It may have also been for realism. maybe russia will get something beter somewhere else...( Will anyone ever be satisfied???)

T34's are good enough for me :D. I'm not really sure about tank and troop maintainance... Oh by the way, will the T34 have more health, or will its armor settings be modified to take less damage from tanks? Heh, and if russia cared about their troops... why did they shoot the ones that ran away :)?

:D

i seriously doubt the germans didnt do field repairs......

I agree that russkies should not have medics or mechanics but only if they could have a special use of ther officer.......

Basically you would select conscript and then pick a civillian building the officer will then go inside and out comes the officer with ten men.

germans did field repairs...im sure russians did a few too, but the russian way wasnt your hurt? let me help you...it was more of your hurt? weres your gun.

Politacly correct? we're not doing that, we are being historicaly correct.

do what rommel???