DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smurf Bizkit

Rts-rpg Hybrids

Anyone know of some good RTS-RPG Hybrids? I'm talking ones like Warcraft 3 (RTS with heavy RPG influence) or Spellforce 2 (about even distribution).

Depends on what's the hybrid level you're looking for. Hidden and Dangerous 2 players joke that it's the only turn-based RTS/FPS/RPG/Adventure/Simulator Historical Commando Wargame out there.

Logan Hartke

Some WWII RTSs have a unit lvl system which improves overall unit performance as you use them more.

But I dont think thats whta you want. :P

Err... dude. If you talking about that ww2 rts, mostly are gaining experiences as well as killings. Nothing other attributes changing for that matter.

Anyone know of some good RTS-RPG Hybrids? I'm talking ones like Warcraft 3 (RTS with heavy RPG influence) or Spellforce 2 (about even distribution).

Hmm, RPG elements in WC3. Heroes gain XP and level and they get items that boost power. Both of which carry over into all missions in the campagin.

BFME1 and 2 has heroes that level and gain/ increase the potency of powers as they level. And the units too. But you know that.

RTW and MTW have general characters that gain levels in abilities and aquire traits and ancilliary charcters and items that can modify those abilities. This feature of the game (in RTW) is very deep and very expansive.

Rise of legends has heroes that gain levels by using there powers.

I feel nothing about BFME rts+rpg stuff. Apparently because the game emphasize more on spamming units. While Rise of Legends is quite a great game. Although it's using money to upgrade your hero powers.

The BFME's don't qualify as a hybrid.

Go play through the Orc campaign in WC3:TFT and you'll see how a hybrid truely functions. It is essentially a RPG at that point.

Battlezone 2 was a cross between an FPS and RTS, but I don't know of anything that constitutes as a RPG/RTS.

Actually, on second thought, RTS/RPG seems to be the basis for a lot of space-based simulations. I don't really know of many, but a lot allow you to build an empire but still allow you to fly around in a ship and do stuff.

how about stuff like Xcom Apocalypse? Yeah a lot of people hated it, but it may be good to learn from the mistakes. The key is being able to pause the real-time action to issue orders, like TA allowed you to do.

Well, Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War, is pretty much as much of an RTS-RPG hybrid as possible. I mean its a very Age of Empires like game strategically, but you can also jump into 3rd person mode with your hero-general and unleash some serious whoop-ass with different powers. It sounds like what you're looking for, but beware, while the previews were very good, the actual post-release reviews aren't so great (the mechanics of the 3rd person mode, naval combat and buildings were apparently very clumsy).

But if you aren't necessarily looking for and RTS-RPG hybrid but would also not mind a turn based strategy RPG hybrid then I highly recommend the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Start from the 3rd or 4th games, (those are my favorites) or maybe even the 5th one if you have a powerful system dont mind shelling out 50 bucks (its just been released). I really cant say enough about these games. These reviews cover them pretty well:

Heroes 3

Heroes 4

Edited by Mr.48