DerelictStudios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pranadevil

How Many Countries Are There In The World?

A question that has always interested me, is how many countries are there in the world. I've done quite a bit of research, but I'm unable to find a solid answer that I actually believe. The most common answers I found were 189, 190, and 193. But, who should you believe. The U.S. where I live, says there are 190, but should I trust the U.S. Anyways, how many countries do you think there are? ;)

A very frequent geographical question is "How many countries are in the world?." Different numbers pop up when one inquires or reads about the number of countries in the world. Each source you use often yields a different answer.

United Nations

There are 191 members of the United Nations. Unfortunately, the number 191 is too often used to represent the number of countries in the world. Although this number represents almost all of the countries in the world, there is still one country (the Vatican City) that is independent and has chosen not to become a member of the U.N.

U.S. Department of State

The United States' State Department recognizes 192 independent countries around the world. Their list of 192 countries reflects the political agenda of the United States of America and its allies. Missing from the State Department's list is one entity that may or may not be considered a country, depending on who you talk to.

The One Outsider

Taiwan meets most of the requirements of independent country or state status. However, due to political reasons, it fails to be recognized by the United States and much of the rest of the world.

Taiwan was actually a member of the United Nations (and even the Security Council) until 1971, when mainland China replaced Taiwan in the organization. Taiwan continues to press for full recognition by other countries, to become "part of the club" and fully recognized worldwide but China claims that Taiwan is simply a province of China.

Thus...

Your Guide considers there to be 193 countries, which is probably the best current answer to the question, "How many countries are in the world?" unless Taiwan is officially absorbed into China at some point, in which case the answer would be 192.

However...

Recognize that there are dozens of territories and colonies that are sometimes erroneously called "countries" but don't count at all - they're governed by other countries. Places commonly confused as being countries include Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Greenland, Western Sahara, and even the components of the United Kingdom (such as Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England - sorry folks, they're not countries, states, or nation-states).

Honestly, there is no set answer.

There are some countries that aren't officially recognized by the UN. Also, the number can fluctuate depending upon military coups and whatnot.

But I'd guess if you consistently found the answers of 189, 190, and 193 that it's gotta be somwhere around 190! :D

(I replied before I saw Miller's post.)

But yes, the whole affair is very very muddled. (And often revolves around political agendas!)

Edited by Le_Poisson

Exactly, East Timor is a state. I guess if we really wanted to find out we'll need reps from all countries, but places in Africa or something wouldn't even bother. There's no set answer, but I go with 194.

When I'm done with it? 1.

B) :P B) :) B) :domo:

Exactly which country is going to be left, "After you get through with it?" rockbrow.gif

Surely Ireland, England Scotland and Wales are different countires, even though 3 of them have limited joint rule? With the recent devolutions Wales and Scotland now have their own parliaments, although the gits still get to send MPs to London to have a say in how we run England :P

Well consider how many ppl claim theyre a new country and the number is gonna be in the thousands

:unsure:

Wackos in the deep south of America don't constitute a nation in my eyes.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/docs/faqs.html

here is some info about what American motives over country recognition are.

I personally agree that the Vatican should not be seen as a state in the proper sense, but I think Taiwan (given it's blatant autonomy from Chineese control) should be.

I would be very happy to return to times of rule by enlightened monarcy like renaisance Italy, to live in citys like Florence and Venice would be very idealic, but sadly I don't see the politicians who I would trust to make this happen.

Ah and many countries in Africa should never have gotten independance (Democratic Republic of Congo - Zaiere for example). The political pressure from the US on the old colonial powers after the second world war and beyond to make them give up their teritories is something I frown upon (good intentions, mis-applied) because of the chaotic mess the rush frequently created. I think a slow trasition over say 50 to 100 years would have produced a much better result (India is a good example, the slow process of change - appart from the rush at the end including the creating of Pakistan - worked well)

Yep good ol India ;) - one more reason I like being mostly India

But damn British wanted to casue havoc in India so they prob are the reason Pak and In are sepaerated...they incited the religious argument...

<_<