DerelictStudios Forums
Count von Phoib

Command And Conquer 3 Has Been Announced

1145399695_medium.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, the new C&C cat is out of the bag...

You have this from me: this is not a joke, this is not a hoax. The cover story of the June issue of PC Gamer is, in fact, a preview of the next Command & Conquer game, simply titled C&C 3.

I expect we will be hearing more from EA on this matter shortly in the form of a press release type thing.

Let me repeat for those of you who skimmed the news instead of reading:

C&C 3 HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED

This is not a drill. Pick up the June copy of "PC Gamer" for a preview.

Whenever we receive more news, we'll post it here as well. Whenever we have screenshots, video's, anything, you'll find it here as well.

Apologies to Dario from using the planetcnc image and text, but I think I can be forgived. text from Planetcnc.com

Update

Shacky cam screens

orcatank7bn5fb.jpg

moretanks2cc3du.jpg

tankbarracks5xl0ly.jpg

Images provided by CnC-source

And this is why I do not care:

Maybe when you go to a talk by the head of EA’s LA studio, you know what you’re in for. But, I was willing to give Neil Young a chance. His subject was “Creating Feature IP,” a term which I assumed the meaning of. Feature IP… that would be intellectual property that acted as sort of a centerpiece title for the studio, right? In the way that a big-name movie is called a “feature?” I’d come to find out that my assumption was entirely wrong.

Young didn’t make a bad first impression. In fact, he had a rather charming presence, bolstered by an endearing British accent and buoyant energy. He started off by describing a typical meeting with ‘the suits’ in the finance department, and the thin margin that EALA had to meet to be profitable, between creating new titles, benching old titles that had been sequeled too recently, and maintaining popular yearly franchises. Like Sony’s Phil Harrison on Wednesday, Young tried to take the developers’ side, describing a scenario where he told the suits that they needed to “stop making sequel after sequel every year!” Yeah! You tell’em, Neil!

He then spent the rest of the presentation explaining exactly how EALA rationalized creating sequel after sequel every year, with tiny incremental changes. By Young's own admission, the rule of thumb at EALA is that any new sequel in a series must have "one to three innovations," which sounds a hell of a lot like business double-speak for "make a few tiny changes and sell it again." See, those tiny incremental changes are what they call “Feature IP”—intellectual property in the form of new features grafted onto an established game. Some recent examples of Feature IP in EA games would be the aspiration system in The Sims 2, the revenge system and traffic checking in Burnout Revenge, and GameFace character customization in the recent Tiger Woods games. They’re attention-grabbing features intended to convince buyers to pick up the new version of games they already have with the hook, “but it has this all-new feature! It’s worth your money!” His example was humorously snubbed at one point by the audience, when Young asked, “Who here played The Sims?” Almost the entire audience raised their hands. “Who’s played The Sims 2?” Less than a quarter of the audience raised their hands. “Hmm… we’ll have to work on that…”

Young went on to demo some pretty impressive new tech that EALA is working on to sell more World War 2 shooters, such as an incredibly life-like facial animation system called UCAP, and a dynamic AI system that threw two opposing forces against one another and let the ensuing battle play out completely without a script. All this accomplished, though, was to reinforce the perceived attitude about EA, that they value pumping out retooled versions of the same old game—feature IP—instead of creating new, fresh ideas—what I call “actual IP”—to invigorate the marketplace. Thanks for the insight into exactly how EA justifies grinding out the same stale properties year after year, Neil.

I don't really care much, I prefer HoI2, and I doubt my financial situation will permit random game purchases when this game finally comes out.

You guys obviously weren't waiting in front of a store untill it opens.

Probable reason, your diapers needed changing...

Bout that since from TS...

What if my diapers did need changing at that current time frame?

If you don't fucking care, then don't post in the fucking topic. Jesus christ, is that so hard?

EDIT: Scans stolen from CnC Source

moretanks2cc3du.jpg

orcatank7bn5fb.jpg

tankbarracks5xl0ly.jpg

Edited by BlckWyerve

Sweet, ive bought every other C&C so far so this is a must :D

Niiiiice looks like a steroid-injected C&C1 :D

Edited by BoB

is that the allied symbol on the orca?

now to go buy it and scan the actual article so people can read it, unless someone else does it

I woulda preferred a RA before a CNC so they could have finished with CNC3 but ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways...If EA lets Barking Lizards or Gametap anywhere near it...

(BTW, TFD patch 1.02 looks good for release this or next week APOC says)

Looks like the USA logo from Generals on the tail fin of the Orca, that'll piss me off if it's a sequel to Generals after all the waiting...