DerelictStudios Forums
EvilViking

An Act Of War: Looking Back

I'm starting this post as a place where I can give you guys the history of AAOW, and show what it used to be like.

--------------------------- Beginings, summer 2003 -------------------------------------

An Act of War was starting in the summer of 2003, originally as "Operation: Desert Eagle". It was going to be a few missions about a fictional war in Iraq. I had no experiance in modding, and very little in the Worldbuilder, so I soon lost interest. Over the summer, however, I practiced, eventually working on a mission about a battle between the USA and China. China rounds up suspected CIA agents, drives them to the coast, and shoots them on a cliffside. The U.S. Navy, off shore, learns of this. The "President" (actually just text on the screen :P ) declares "The Chinese have commited an act of war... bomb the local Chinese base!". Then, you pretty much just beat the crap outta the Chinese for the rest of the mission. But, that's how the name "An Act of War" came about, as I soon began work yet again on the map campaign...

--------------------------------Gathering the Team---------------------------------

Late summer 2003 - Fall 2003

Early on, attempting to mod Generals was a frustrating experiance. I had absolutly no experiance in any 3D or 2D artwork of any kind. I had just downloaded Paint Shop Pro, however, and began to experiment with that. My only previous modding experiance was in Red Alert 2, where I'd done some light INI work that was quite pathetic. I'd also coded a few voxels into Tiberian Sun, and made a few super-units in Red Alert 1. After finding a public M1A2, Blackhawk, and an Apache, I copied and pasted their code into my mini-mod, and was very proud of myself. :P I need a website (err, sure I did hehe), and made a crappy Geocities site that I still have: [ CLICK HERE TO SEE AAOW'S FIRST WEBSITE! ] Note: Not all links work, I cleaned it up as best I could.

In those screenshots, you can see my first attempt at "skinning" (the Ranger texture), which had NO detail besides the camo, and looked horrible. You can also see our second unit ever, the Blackhawk from the original Blackhawk Mod by Brian, and our second unit, the M1A2 (which I thought was an M1 :lol: ). A forum member named big_daddy saw my site, and offered to make a new one. He created the site template that (heavily modified and added on to) we still use today!

Also on the old site are several screenshots from the first singleplayer mission I ever created (the city shots). It was actually pretty good for my first scripted map, with a 1.5 minute cinimatic at the begining, featuring a police chase that you may see reincarnated in some way...

[ The Original Storyline, written by me after the maps had been started! ]

And no, my AOL email no longer exists. :P

---------------------------------------Into the 3D World----------------------------

More to come.

Edited by PCTeen1

Edit by PCTeen1: STURM-SHREK, I've saved your addition to my desktop, I'll add it in soon, we're not quite there yet. PM me if you have any more. :)

Edited by PCTeen1

i started following the mod bout 6 months ago....at first i got hooked on the Reborn series but it didnt sasitfy me.....i was looking for a mod that played alot like generals with modern day weapons but yet not a TW2 style with ultimate realism.....and i found it....AAOW, i got hooked and followed it until around the first relase when i asked pcteen1 to see if he would allow me to join the team.....he saw some of my maps and liked it and next thing i know im aboard....and i have enjoyed every bit of it.....

what the heck were you thinking when you made that storeyline lol half an army base commiting treason and killing there own countrymen wow thats realistic lol :lol:

Do the statistics percentages on the website accurately reflect your progress. If not perhaps they should be removed to aviod ambiguity. Fantastic work on the new models though. Great work.

I first got hooked to AAOW, when i was having trouble deciding between Reborn, (4.0) and Energy (5.0) then reborn 5.0 came out, lot of bugs, that kinda stuff (quad tank, that respawns when you kill it, soldiers without skins, yada yada) then i went to energy, that went under. I asked the leader if he could recomend any mods, lo and behold, aaow turned out to be one of em. By the way, that first mission you described, that would be pretty cool, any way to can make that a "Lost Mission?"

me agian, sorry, well, i just took a look at the screenshots, nice work on the skin for the ranger, it would be a nice addition of you guys added that into the mod somehow, maybe something like, making them a stronger unit than regular gens, and giving them the 2-way ability many people ask for (rocket, gun)or maybe giving them an M-4/203, and some C-4 maybe

I remember back then at DeeZire's when I read the first storyline of AAOW, I laughed when I read of the Chinese suicide bomber. :D No offence PCteen1, peace! :)

Did you get any ideas from the game An Act Of War coming out or did they steal it from you? :huh:

(Just asking cause they have a very close story line to this mod) <_<

No, PCteen1 was way ahead with his own concepts and ideas even before the retail was announced, same as the Blitzkrieg/Blitzkrieg 2 was there even before CDV Blitzkrieg came out...

And it's Act of War, not An Act of War (PCteen1's 'partial-conversion' ;) )

yah....the game looks cool, but my personal opinion is that AAOW is going to kick ass gameplay wise. to me, that is...

well, I'm gonna say what I bet others are thinking.

Why are you discussing the past history of a mod you haven't finished yet?

no offense, that's just what I thought when I saw this thread

Hmmm busting out gmax but for some reason, I fear this will take a while to learn...

Anyways interesting beginnings - make the rest of the story!

Im workin on it...and mapping for YR....

:)