DerelictStudios Forums: An Act Of War: Looking Back - DerelictStudios Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An Act Of War: Looking Back See AAOW's humble beginings!

#1 User is offline   EvilViking 

• stargazer
  • Group: Volcano Officer

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:55 AM

I'm starting this post as a place where I can give you guys the history of AAOW, and show what it used to be like.

--------------------------- Beginings, summer 2003 -------------------------------------

An Act of War was starting in the summer of 2003, originally as "Operation: Desert Eagle". It was going to be a few missions about a fictional war in Iraq. I had no experiance in modding, and very little in the Worldbuilder, so I soon lost interest. Over the summer, however, I practiced, eventually working on a mission about a battle between the USA and China. China rounds up suspected CIA agents, drives them to the coast, and shoots them on a cliffside. The U.S. Navy, off shore, learns of this. The "President" (actually just text on the screen tongue.gif ) declares "The Chinese have commited an act of war... bomb the local Chinese base!". Then, you pretty much just beat the crap outta the Chinese for the rest of the mission. But, that's how the name "An Act of War" came about, as I soon began work yet again on the map campaign...

--------------------------------Gathering the Team---------------------------------

Late summer 2003 - Fall 2003

Early on, attempting to mod Generals was a frustrating experiance. I had absolutly no experiance in any 3D or 2D artwork of any kind. I had just downloaded Paint Shop Pro, however, and began to experiment with that. My only previous modding experiance was in Red Alert 2, where I'd done some light INI work that was quite pathetic. I'd also coded a few voxels into Tiberian Sun, and made a few super-units in Red Alert 1. After finding a public M1A2, Blackhawk, and an Apache, I copied and pasted their code into my mini-mod, and was very proud of myself. tongue.gif I need a website (err, sure I did hehe), and made a crappy Geocities site that I still have: [ CLICK HERE TO SEE AAOW'S FIRST WEBSITE! ] Note: Not all links work, I cleaned it up as best I could.

In those screenshots, you can see my first attempt at "skinning" (the Ranger texture), which had NO detail besides the camo, and looked horrible. You can also see our second unit ever, the Blackhawk from the original Blackhawk Mod by Brian, and our second unit, the M1A2 (which I thought was an M1 laugh.gif ). A forum member named big_daddy saw my site, and offered to make a new one. He created the site template that (heavily modified and added on to) we still use today!

Also on the old site are several screenshots from the first singleplayer mission I ever created (the city shots). It was actually pretty good for my first scripted map, with a 1.5 minute cinimatic at the begining, featuring a police chase that you may see reincarnated in some way...

[ The Original Storyline, written by me after the maps had been started! ]

And no, my AOL email no longer exists. tongue.gif

---------------------------------------Into the 3D World----------------------------

More to come.

This post has been edited by PCTeen1: 24 February 2005 - 07:37 AM

#2 User is offline   STURMSHREK 

• 2nd Lieutenant
  • Group: Volcano Soldier

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:01 AM

Edit by PCTeen1: STURM-SHREK, I've saved your addition to my desktop, I'll add it in soon, we're not quite there yet. PM me if you have any more. smile.gif

This post has been edited by PCTeen1: 22 February 2005 - 11:04 PM

#3 User is offline   EvilViking 

• stargazer

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:38 AM

Updated, check out our original website!

#4 User is offline   BIG D RETURNS 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Volcano Citizen

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:01 AM

\o/ back in the day biggrin.gif

#5 User is offline   IronRaptor 

• Captain

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

i started following the mod bout 6 months ago....at first i got hooked on the Reborn series but it didnt sasitfy me.....i was looking for a mod that played alot like generals with modern day weapons but yet not a TW2 style with ultimate realism.....and i found it....AAOW, i got hooked and followed it until around the first relase when i asked pcteen1 to see if he would allow me to join the team.....he saw some of my maps and liked it and next thing i know im aboard....and i have enjoyed every bit of it.....

#6 User is offline   Black DoomsDragon 

• 2nd Lieutenant

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:02 AM

An Act of War's roots are deep in Pre-ZH(just Generals that is)

#7 User is offline   usafirewarrior 

• PyroManiac
  • Mod Registrations:

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:50 AM

what the heck were you thinking when you made that storeyline lol half an army base commiting treason and killing there own countrymen wow thats realistic lol laugh.gif

#8 User is offline   tibmaker 

• 2nd Lieutenant

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:52 AM

Goes to show that anyone can learn anything if they have the will to do so...

#9 User is offline   micks75au 

• Private

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

Do the statistics percentages on the website accurately reflect your progress. If not perhaps they should be removed to aviod ambiguity. Fantastic work on the new models though. Great work.

#10 User is offline   Paladin327 

• 1st Lieutenant

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:40 PM

I first got hooked to AAOW, when i was having trouble deciding between Reborn, (4.0) and Energy (5.0) then reborn 5.0 came out, lot of bugs, that kinda stuff (quad tank, that respawns when you kill it, soldiers without skins, yada yada) then i went to energy, that went under. I asked the leader if he could recomend any mods, lo and behold, aaow turned out to be one of em. By the way, that first mission you described, that would be pretty cool, any way to can make that a "Lost Mission?"

#11 User is offline   Paladin327 

• 1st Lieutenant

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:27 AM

me agian, sorry, well, i just took a look at the screenshots, nice work on the skin for the ranger, it would be a nice addition of you guys added that into the mod somehow, maybe something like, making them a stronger unit than regular gens, and giving them the 2-way ability many people ask for (rocket, gun)or maybe giving them an M-4/203, and some C-4 maybe

#12 User is offline   ThE nO nAmE mAn 

• 2nd Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

smile.gif Wow very intersting i still wanna go into modding but i have no money to buy the Modeling tools and stuff. sad.gif

#13 User is offline   yayo01 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:57 PM

hmmm Gmax is a Free Modelling tool! if u need to export it in W3d you need RenX and some import scripts!

#14 User is offline   Neospecz 

• Major

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:25 PM

I remember back then at DeeZire's when I read the first storyline of AAOW, I laughed when I read of the Chinese suicide bomber. biggrin.gif No offence PCteen1, peace! smile.gif

#15 User is offline   EvilViking 

• stargazer

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:30 PM

Hey man! It's been a while, I actually remember ya! laugh.gif Yup, those were the days... no modding or writing skillz. tongue.gif

#16 User is offline   yayo01 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:57 PM

LOL btw PCTeen1 your First ever mission looks fun!

#17 User is offline   ThE nO nAmE mAn 

• 2nd Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:23 PM

I remember i used those models the blackhawk the M1A2 diffrent skins man that was cool.

#18 User is offline   yayo01 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

hey PCTeen1 i found this http://www.deezire.net/modules.php?name=Fo...3792&highlight=

#19 User is offline   I_AM_BUSH 

• Private

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:52 PM

Did you get any ideas from the game An Act Of War coming out or did they steal it from you? huh.gif
(Just asking cause they have a very close story line to this mod) dry.gif

#20 User is offline   Neospecz 

• Major

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:07 PM

No, PCteen1 was way ahead with his own concepts and ideas even before the retail was announced, same as the Blitzkrieg/Blitzkrieg 2 was there even before CDV Blitzkrieg came out...

And it's Act of War, not An Act of War (PCteen1's 'partial-conversion' wink.gif )

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users